Scientists use plastic to make 18K gold.

Scientists have created a “very light” 18K gold nugget that uses a completely unthinkable material: plastic. This gold has all the luster of ordinary gold but is much lighter.

The density of traditional gold is usually around 15 grams per cubic centimeter, while researchers at the Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich have created a new density of only 1.7 grams per cubic centimeter.

What is K gold? K gold refers to an alloy of gold and other metals smelted together. K gold indicates the purity of gold. 18k gold is 75% of gold, and the remaining 25% is other precious metals such as nickel and silver. Because K gold is cheap and comfortable to wear, it is loved by people.

But the crafting of this new type of gold is completely different. To make the new material, the researchers used protein fibers and polymer latex to form a matrix with embedded gold nanocrystalline flakes.

The person in charge of the study said: “This gold has the material properties of plastic. If it falls on a hard surface, it sounds like plastic. But it shines like gold and can be polished and processed into whatever it needs Shape. “The researchers believe that their plastic gold can be used in watches, jewelry and electronics, as well as radiation shielding.

Before the advent of plastic gold, the research team created a gold that was almost as light as air. However, researchers said: “The previous material was too unstable, so we set a clear goal for ourselves to create a lightweight gold. This gold can actually be processed and used for Most applications that use gold today.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *