Beijing News (Reporter Xu Wen Chen Qinhan) A study published online January 24 by the international medical journal The Lancet showed that the first confirmed case of new-type coronavirus pneumonia developed on December 1, last year, and no South China seafood Market exposure history.
Corresponding author of this study is Cao Bin, director of the Department of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, China-Japan Friendship Hospital. Co-authors include Huang Chaolin, deputy director and chief physician of Wuhan Jinyintan Hospital, Professor Li Xingwang of the Clinical Research Center of Infectious Diseases of Beijing Ditan Hospital, Professor Lili Ren of the Institute of Pathogen Biology, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, and Zhao Jianping, director of Respiratory Department of Wuhan Tongji Hospital.
The infection occurred at least in November last year or earlier
The study analyzed the first 41 confirmed cases of new coronavirus admitted to Wuhan between December 16, 2019 and January 2, 2020. The results showed that of the first 41 confirmed cases, 27 had been to the South China Seafood Market and 14 had no history of exposure to the South China Seafood Market.
Of the 4 confirmed patients with initial onset, 3 had no history of South China seafood market exposure. Among them, the first confirmed patient’s onset date was December 1, 2019, and none of his family members had fever or any respiratory symptoms. The patient had no history of exposure to the South China seafood market, and no epidemiological link was found between subsequent cases.
This is 7 days earlier than the earliest onset of official notification. In the third official circular issued by the Wuhan Health and Medical Commission on January 5, the earliest onset of the disease was mentioned on December 12, 2019. The official report on January 11 updated the earliest onset date to December 8, 2019.
Infectious disease specialist Daniel Lucey of Georgetown University said in the journal Science that “the infection was at least November or earlier because there is a latency period between infection and the onset of symptoms.”
Wife of first death has also been infected
The Lancet paper mentioned that the first death case had been continuously exposed to the South China Seafood Market and was admitted to the hospital for 7 days with fever, cough and dyspnea. Five days after the onset of this patient, his 53-year-old wife also developed pneumonia and was admitted to an isolation ward with no history of exposure to the South China seafood market.
According to official notification, the above-mentioned deaths died on January 9. According to a report by the Wuhan Health and Medical Commission on January 11, the patient was a 61-year-old man who was admitted to the hospital due to respiratory failure and severe pneumonia. He also had abdominal tumors and chronic liver disease. The patient purchases goods from the South China Seafood Market in Wuhan. After admission to the hospital, symptomatic support, anti-infection, ventilator-assisted breathing, continuous ECMO in vitro life support, and other treatments were not improved. On January 9, 2020, the heartbeat stopped and she died after rescue. The results of the etiology test indicated that the new coronavirus was positive for nucleic acid.
A circular issued by the Wuhan Health Commission on January 14 referred to the above-mentioned couple cases. The report said that among the 41 cases currently diagnosed, one was found to be family-gathering. The couple developed the disease, and the husband first developed the disease. He was an employee of the South China Seafood Wholesale Market, and his wife denied a history of South China Seafood Wholesale Market exposure. The circular explained that, “No clear evidence of human-to-human transmission has been found, and the possibility of limited human-to-human transmission cannot be ruled out, but the risk of continued human-to-human transmission is low.